Nov 22, 2006

My First Time

The first museum I remember being at that made an impression on me is probably the most famous museum in the world. The Louvre. I was 6 and in Paris with my mom, her sister and a couple of cousins. We spent a whole day in the Louvre, and I remember being so tired and kinda tired of looking at room after room of stuff I didn't quite get (not even the Mona Lisa). Until I saw the Winged Victory at the top of a staircase. It mesmerized me. It was like this giant thing ready to come flying at me. Maybe it's because I'd just seen Wizard of Oz for the first time and was a bit freaked out by things with wings. Maybe I was just tired enough that I gave up being annoyed with moving around. Maybe it was just that great a piece of sculpture. I stood and stared at it. My mom finally had to drag me away with the promise of buying a postcard with that on it.

I haven't been back to Paris since then. But I still remember how I felt standing in front of that huge sculpture and get chills.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first time was to the Bailiffgate Museum in Alnwick, which is a great place for kids.
I was with a school trip and we were able to see an incredible amount of old photographs belonging to the Museum, of old Alnwick town.
We were treated to a mock Victorian schoolday, then in the afternoon we were all shown how children during World War 2 learned, with their gas masks by their chairs.
What was later disappointing about this was that those old photographs that belonged to the Bailiffgate Museum were all taken by a Trustee as his personal property, and they have been lost to future generations of local children.
However, that apart, it's a great place to go, and I can thoroughly recommend it to one and all.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one to have wondered about the Bailiffgate Museum in Alnwick, Northumberland.
I was there for a music workshop, which was just marvellous, but the Museum itself was a bit crowded and shabby, as if somebody had tried to stuff as much as possible into a very very small space.
And those photographs that have gone missing have surely gone into the possession of the only Trustee left there now, a local historian who likes to treat the Bailiffgate Museum's stuff as if it is his own.
I wouldn't recommend the place at all.
It's dull and pointless.
Museum stuff is being lost and stolen by staff and others.
As you can gather it wasn't the best place to have "My First Time" at a Museum.

Anonymous said...

I'm a member of the Alnwick and District Local History Society and would like to point out that the reviews of the Bailiffgate Museum in Alnwick are rather harsh.

The Museum is a wonderful place, and I well remember my first happy visit to it (as I am sure so too do most local schoolchildren).

The fact that many of the Museum's photographs have been stolen by a Trustee (A.I.), with the Museum staff frightened to speak out, should not detract from the establishment itself.

Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in Alnwick but it is true that the Bailiffgate Museum is a disappointment.
My first visit to it was several years ago, as a schoolgirl Even then it was obvious that many of the things which were being given to it for display were instead being taken away.
This seems to mainly apply to books, things made of paper and to photographs.
Photos handed in by my Nana and Granda were not in the Museum.
We all know who the culprit is -- when will he (the Trustee) be held to account for his thefts and when will Alnwick's children's "first times" at the Museum see them looking at all those missing photographs?????

Ketty said...

When I was child I wasn't so much fascinated towards museums, but as I grown up I started developing interests in this and i found it really interesting to gather knowledge about history. I have been to the Bailiffgate Museum when I was 9 and really enjoyed there.
Top 10 Museums Top ten lists